Book Title: A Fine Year for Murder by Lauren Carr
Category: Adult fiction, 430 pages
Publisher: Acorn Book Services
Release date: Jan 31, 2017
After months of marital bliss, Jessica Faraday and Murphy Thornton are still discovering and adjusting to their life together. Settled in their new home, everything appears to be perfect … except in the middle of the night when, in darkest shadows of her subconscious, a deep secret from Jessica’s past creeps to the surface to make her strike out at Murphy.
When investigative journalist Dallas Walker tells the couple about her latest case, known as the Pine Bridge Massacre, they realize Jessica may have witnessed the murder of a family living near a winery owned by distant relatives she was visiting and suppressed the memory.
Determined to uncover the truth and find justice for the murder victims, Jessica and Murphy return to the scene of the crime with Dallas Walker, a spunky bull-headed Texan. Can this family reunion bring closure for a community touched by tragedy or will this prickly get-together bring an end to the Thorny Rose couple?
Lauren Carr is the international best-selling author of the Mac Faraday, Lovers in Crime, and Thorny Rose Mysteries—over twenty titles across three fast-paced mystery series filled with twists and turns!
Book reviewers and readers alike rave about how Lauren Carr’s seamlessly crosses genres to include mystery, suspense, romance, and humor.
Lauren is a popular speaker who has made appearances at schools, youth groups, and on author panels at conventions. She lives with her husband, son, and four dogs (including the real Gnarly) on a mountain in Harpers Ferry, WV.
Ten Fun Facts about the Thorny Rose Detectives
By Lauren Carr
- Lieutenant Murphy Thornton USN of Lauren Carr’s Thorny Rose Mystery series is the son of Joshua Thornton of the Lovers in Crime Mystery series. Fans of Lauren Carr’s mysteries may have first been introduced to Murphy in her first two books A Small Case of Murder and A Reunion to Die For. In those two books, Murphy was only seventeen years old. He has since grown up.
- The female half of the Thorny Rose couple is Jessica Faraday, the only daughter of Mac Faraday of Lauren Carr’s Mac Faraday Mystery series. Lauren Carr fans may remember briefly meeting Jessica in Old Loves Die Hard in which her and Tristan’s mother was murdered.
- Murphy met Jessica when he foiled a kidnapping attempt in Three Days to Forever.
- Murphy has an identical twin, Joshua Thornton Jr (J.J.), who is seven minutes older. J.J. was featured in Killer in the Band (Lovers in Crime Mystery). Murphy and J.J. are mirror twins, meaning they are truly mirror images of each other. For this reason, J.J.’s heart, liver, and spleen are on the opposite side of his body from Murphy’s.
- Health conscious Murphy is a pescetarian, a vegetarian who eats fish. He also avoids alcohol, caffeine, processed sugar, and dairy products. Jessica drinks coffee loaded with gourmet creamer, sugar, and eats chocolate pop-tarts for breakfast.
- Jessica named her pure bred blue merle Shetland sheepdog Spencer after her grandmother, the late mystery writer Robin Spencer. Murphy calls the sheltie Candi after his first girlfriend who kissed and loved everybody—especially the basketball team.
- Newman, Murphy’s Basset Hound is a forty-five-pound couch potato who came with Murphy’s first apartment in Washington DC. Newman came with the worn recliner, left by a fellow navy officer sent overseas, that the mixed breed calls his home.
- A television addict, Newman taught himself how to work the television remote.
- Jessica’s younger brother, Tristan, is dating Murphy’s younger sister Sarah, a midshipman at the US Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. An undergraduate at George Washington University, Tristan works as an intern at the Smithsonian Museum. They met at Jessica and Murphy’s wedding in Three Days to Forever.
- Jessica and Murphy have a virtual butler named Nigel, the central computer that manages their smart house. A prototype, Nigel was designed by a team of computer experts, which included Tristan. In addition to controlling the house’s lighting, temperature, and pantry management, Nigel also manages the estate’s security, as illustrated in Candidate for Murder when the virtual butler and Gnarly the German shepherd take on a team of black ops assassins.
One winner will receive a $100 Amazon gift card (Open internationally)
Ends April 22